Saturday, January 28, 2012

It's the End of the Unit! {3D/2D Shapes Game & Notes}

Happy weekend everyone! In our parts it is about time to wrap up Math Unit 5: 3D and 2D Shapes. Before each test day we have a review day. Students play a little review game on the Smartboard. Each student uses a white board to solve the questions and earn points for their teams.

The last time I taught second grade was long before Smartboards and projectors were creeping in classrooms (circa 2006/2007).  In those days we used Powerpoint and put our “Shows” on TV. 

The file attached is our 2D/3D game that is similar to the content on the Unit 5 EDM test. My second graders played this and had no problem navigating through the screens…. So here’s hoping it will work for anyone that has Powerpoint! 

To download: Click the image, in GoogleDocs go to File --> Download As --> Powerpoint and it should play as a slideshow then!


I also send a study guide as homework before each test. (I cannot share the guide because it’s pieced together Frankenstein style with EDM Mathboxes, and there are some solid copyrights on those items!)

I do, however, send home this note attached to the cover of the study guide on a bright colored piece of paper (It sends the THIS-IS-IMPORTANT kind of vibe).



Following the test I send home this note:

I mark concepts that the student is still struggling with and a little bit of explanation/home support tip on the paper.

Here’s one from the week I found out I was getting a split AND it was the end of Unit 2. I apologize for the haste it was put together, but you know 4th Friday Craziness….
The black marks are covering student names -- I do not usually scribble on these notes.

I save these sheets for sorting math interventions and as way to open communication with parents.

Here is a link to the documents in GoogleDocs if you think it is something you can take and run with! 



Oh well, I’m off to prepare for a big birthday bash for my fabulous  Aunt Susan (1st Grade teacher extraordinaire)– who may or may not be reading this right now!! Happy Birthday!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute powerpoint! I will have to save it when I get to school...but I am sure my kids will love it! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of sending home a checklist with the test, so the parents are aware. I definitely need to try that!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful!! I love it!! Thanks for the comment on my blog today! Here's my email: rebasutton@gmail.com. I wasn't sure if you wanted my email from your comment. =)

Rebecca
Teaching First

Holly said...

You girls are MACHINES!!!!! Thanks for sharing - hope you have a fun time at the b-day party!

You've been tagged - come see what I mean!!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Unknown said...

I wish I had smartboard! That looks so cool!

I always send important notes home on bright paper or with bright colored writing!

Jen R said...

sadly, w are behind the times with technology..I'm just thankful that we got our doc cams!! So yes!! I can use your PPT!

Thank you!!
The Teachers’ Cauldron

Post a Comment