Saturday, January 14, 2012

Fairy Tale Fun! :)

I don't know about you, but I LOVE fairy tales.  My current fav show is ABC's Once Upon a Time and I'm not gonna lie, I will be seeing Beauty and the Beast again in 3D when it is re-released...hehe :)  So, I was super excited when our district added a major fairy tale unit to our second grade pacing guide this year.  I will be starting this fun unit next week and am beyond happy. 

  

One of the my favorite parts of the unit is using Reader's Theater to work on fluency.  On my FACE of a Reader board, I use Christina Bainbridge's APE fluency posters (A-accuracy, P-pacing, E-expression).  If you haven't checked out how cute and easy to use the posters are yet, click {HERE}.  I also use the book Folk & Fairy Tale Plays for Beginning Readers.  This is a great resource because the parts are differentiated and I can have a range of different leveled readers in one group.  Another great book to use is You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together.   Also, I loved being able to use my SmartNotebook software with my Smartboard last year to find and create "scenery" for each of my Reader's Theater group performances.


When I found out we were doing a major unit, I decided to make it even bigger and better than last year (I'm a true blooded Italian, and BIGGER AND BETTER is an inherited trait :)  My BIG goal for myself this year was to introduce even more fairy tales than I did last year!  I've complied a list of 82 different versions of fairy tale books that are organized by the main character.  Click HERE to check out the list if you are ready to introduce a new version of a classic story to your class :)  Leave us a comment if you know another great fairy tale you'd like added to the list!  Hope you're having a happy weekend! :)


13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love teaching with fairy tales!=)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Jodi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower of yours now too :)

❀Jodi
Fun In First

Christina Bainbridge said...

I have some fairy tale stuff on my class website you might be able to use: http://www.bainbridgeclass.com/files.htm

I love teaching this too! I have a book called "Yo Hungry Wolf" that has Red Riding Hood, The Three Little Pigs, and Boy Who Cried Wolf all told from the Wolf's perspective as a RAP! It is TOO fun!

:)
Christina

Lori said...

Love that you create the background for your Reader's Theater performances!
Wanted to let you know that I got your message on my blog about Alpha Boxes, but for some reason it isn't showing up now. Thanks for commenting!

Kelley Cirrito said...

I love readers theater! We haven't had the chance to do one this year, but I think I will have to make some time!

Sandy said...

I LOVE the idea of using the SMART Board as a background for Readers Theater! :) So fun! Thanks!

Kathy said...

I also love the background idea!

THANKS for sharing!
Kathy
First Grade a la Carte

Alissa said...

I haven't done a lot of readers theatre with my students yet. But it is something that I am going to be introducing ASAP. I like the idea of having scenery up on the smart board (we have a star board)

Lauren Thompson said...

I am sharing the Versatile Blogger &the Liebster Award with you! Hop on over to my blog to pick up the buttons and get the rules! :)

Lauren
The First Grade Diaries

Primary Junction said...

I am sharing the Versatile Blogger Award with you! Hop on over to my blog to pick up the button and get the rules!

Kayla
Primary Junction

Jill said...

Thanks for the ideas, I love Once Upon a Time, also. My students enjoy acting out the fairy tales after we have read them. Have a great day.

teachertam said...

Thanks for following my blog! I hopped on over and joined yours, too!
Teacher Tam's Educational Adventures

The Bubblegum Tree said...

I love teaching fairy tales, my favorite has to be The TRUE story of the three little pigs!

Post a Comment