Monday, January 30, 2012

Write from the Beginning :)

Happy Monday everyone! Is it just me or does it feel like this is going to be one of those weeks?

Well, you may have noticed this little blog has an undying love and devotion to Thinking Maps! We both declare “Thinking Maps” as an interest on Facebook – our TM love is that weird.





A year after adopting the Thinking Map “way” our school added “Write from the Beginning” as a writing resource.
Write from the Beginning is Thinking Map’s way of using the writing process. WFTB includesThinking Maps and Minilessons to produce quality pieces of writing. Our school’s goal with Write from the Beginning is to improve our scores on our state assessment. Therefore, you may see a lot of prompts popping up here and there.

With this post we’re sharing a little .pdf we put together using the Write from the Beginning format to take students through the early stages of the writing process. Feel free to click the image to download.


This file includes: 
Writing Process Flow Map
Pre-Writing Author Questions
Brainstorming Template
Drafting Author Questions
1st Grade Drafting Explanation
1st Grade Drafting Template 
2nd Grade Drafting Explanation
2nd Grade Dafting Template: Blank
2nd Grade Drafting Template: With Transitions 
Transitional Phrases Tree Map


Student Work Warning: The attached work includes my cutie first graders work on page 10. In case you’re having difficulty reading it, her published piece would have read: In 2012 I can’t wait to go to the Disney Cruise and my mom [is] singing me up for Karate. In 2012 I want to go to Kalahari the most.  My goal is [to] be better at telling time better than right now. {She’s pretty cute!}

Happy Monday and hope your week is off to a SUPER start!!! :)

22 comments:

Lori Rosenberg said...

This looks amazing! Thanks for the awesome share! I can't wait to start using them!

Unknown said...

Love that you have have TM as an interest on FB! Hilarious!! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Jen R said...

omgosh!! I LOVE you for this!! well, I loved y'all anyway, but more now :)
We used to use the flow map for our writing...but for some WEIRD and UNKNOWN reason, they decided to go with the Melissa Forney 4-square with the grabber and closer flap. BOO. HISS. Though we DO use the circle map for our pre-writing....If we're a TM school, then why not be consistent?!!? ahhh!! But I'm a rule breaker, secretly - when I think it's beneficial to the kids, so that's why I'm loving your file....Thanks!!!
muah!

♥ Jen
The Teachers' Cauldron

Christina Bainbridge said...

Wow- that's GREAT! Thank you so much for sharing that!

:)
Christina
Mrs. Bainbridge's Blog

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for this.
I especially like the Transitional Phrases tree map at the end. I"m making a poster of that for my room!!

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

Lisa at Fourth and Ten said...

Thanks for sharing! I love this! :)
Lisa
Stories From Second

Sandra said...

We use both in my district too! Thanks!
❤ Sandra
Sweet Times in First
sweettimesinfirst@gmail.com

Marcie Evans said...

I absolutely love TM & WFTB! I wish my new system would adopt them both. They make such a difference in how children learn. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish I could get my students to write and enjoy it. What a lost art, but I'm not giving up. We do a little everyday. By 3rd grade they should be must better writers.

The Schroeder Page said...

Tag your are IT! Head over and check out why! It is not for the faint of hear:)
☮Monica
The Schroeder Page

Primary Junction said...

These are awesome! Thank you!

Kayla
Primary Junction

Sandy said...

I think your TM addiction/obsession is great because my students and I have benefitted from it! :-) Thank you!!! Have a great week!!!!

Kristi said...

I just finished my WFTB TOT training last week. I could KISS you for this!!! :) Thanks!

SecondGradeMama said...

Fantastic, this will be great for my "All About Unit" and "Small Moments"

Lucia Kaiser said...

It is amazing to find this blog today. You have no idea how I intend to devour every lesson! Thank you so much.

Maribel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Learning in Wonderland said...

I found you through Pinterest! Thanks for these awesome resources!
I'm a new follower:)
Maribel
Learninginwonderland.com

Keeping Up With First Grade said...

I just randomly found your blog looking for writing ideas for a student I am tutoring this summer. Looks like the two of you have wonderful ideas.

I'm your newest follower. Come visit me anytime!
Best wishes,
Brittany

Keeping Up With First Grade

Mrs. Berg said...

Thank you! This is wonderful. Our school just started WFTB and this is a great resource.

-Emily
First Grade School Box

Amy Cohen said...

Thank you for sharing these!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this information.

Mommy Tai said...

This is perfect for our school, we just started Mapping this year. Thank you!

Post a Comment