Tuesday, April 3, 2012

11 Absent Fun Time!


Oh. My. Word! It was a half day today! The kind where you only come to school in the afternoon. In my in my classroom this meant 11 students absent! 11! What are you supposed to do with almost half the class absent?

WELL, I pulled out crafts that would terrify me any other day!

We’ve been working through our weather unit and have been spending the week talking about cloud cover and wind. SOOOO, we pulled out the glue/shaving cream combo to make a little text-to-self project about Eric Carle’s Little Cloud.



The idea is totally credited to Cara Carroll! (Sometimes I feel like she’s the fourth on our first grade team). The link will you take to her AMAZING cloud post!

We used the sentence frame, “Sometimes Little Cloud looked like _________________” and filled in the sentence with the shape they made with our glue/foam combo.

SOME TIPS TO MAKING LASTING FOAM:

-          All recipes I frantically Googled called for equal parts foam and glue. However, we found that resulted in a liquid-ish cloud. So, our recommendation is that you use about a quarter of the glue than shaving cream.

-          Each kiddo got a little cup of foam and paintbrush to go to town.

-          After some creative minutes, we learned that a “patting motion” {Dakota’s words, not mine) caused the shaving cream to fluff up the most.

Below is the little cloud sentence my kids wrote in if you’re interested!




Two more days until I am kicking my feet up on SPRING BREAK (So jealous of you spring breaking it now!).

P.S. First graders just finished up their geometry unit. Love the kiddo for doing a rectangle! :) However, store was easier to spell... So, he had a last minute switch! 



16 comments:

Journey of a Substitute Teacher (Ms. T) said...

11 kids gone? Wow. What a fun activity :)


Journey of a Substitute Teacher

Unknown said...

Looks like you still did a lot!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Unknown said...

Wow! 11 kids out. I can't even imagine.

Swimming into Second

Kelley Cirrito said...

I tagged you ladies! Come check it out! :)

Jennifer said...

I'll bet out of those 11 the one or two you really wanted gone were there! Cute activity!
Rowdy in First Grade

Aimee said...

Having half your class gone at once can be challenging. But, it looks like your kiddos had a great day!

Aimee
www.primarily-speaking.blogspot.com

Owls and Lessons, Etc. said...

11 kids would be exactly half my class...I remember days of having only 18! My Spring Break is the same as yours...and it begins on Friday at 3 pm! It's been LONG overdue :) Enjoy yours!

Haley
Following Optimism in 2nd Grade

Kelley Cirrito said...

I can't wait to do this with my kids. We will be starting our weather unit in a couple of weeks! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda said...

This terrifies and excites me at the same time! :) Cute activity!!

Amanda
http://www.oneextradegree.blogspot.com

Ms. Schweitzer said...

I can't wait to try this with my weather unit. Hope to have stuff posted for it by the end of spring break!

kindergartenwars.blogspot.com

iintegratetechnology said...

COOL ideas! It's so neat you are blog buddies! I love TEAM WORK! I am new to blogger and having a blast! If you are interested in integrating technology, maybe stop by my new blog! I am your new follower!
Mindy

iintegratetechnology@blogspot.com

Courtney said...

11... oh wow!

Love the idea. I'm your newest follower :)

-Courtney
2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

What a great idea, and some great craft tips too!!! I def need to get a bit more crafty- bit scared of the mess being a first year teacher haha! Will swallow my inhibitions and might give something like this a go as it doesn't seem 2 messy!!!
Thanks

Michelle
http://bloggingteachingandsecondgradeohmy.blogspot.com.au/

Holly said...

Think of you girls often.

Hugs,

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Sylvia said...

Absent fun time is a beautiful article keep it up.
Teacher Collaboration

Clipping Solutions said...


Your selection of topic is very good and also well written. Thanks for sharing with us most effective information

Jewelry Editing Services

Post a Comment